3.20.2014

Little Black Dress 3: the 40's Dior and the New Look

After two decades in the 40's the rise of the Little Black Dress came to a halt. In fact during war time there was not much time to think about fashions. Anyway women favoured two pieces suits  or floral dresses. The line that prevailed in the first half of the decade was still the siren of the late 30's. An example is  the dress I made for Costanza: Costanza 40's dress

But in 1947, the war finally over, Christian Dior in his very first collection introduced the "New Look": characterised by a small waist and a full skirt. This style was immediately embraced by the most stylish women of the era. In fact it became extremely popular, influencing fashion well into the 50's.

This is the classic Dior line that we all know and love so well

Dio's New Look: The Bar Jacket
The Little Black Dress, born in the "no waist line" 20's, was back!!! 

This  fashion I choose is  from 1948, and is called "Drag". I think it has a line that Greta Garbo or Katharine Hepburn would have loved:


The most "garboesque" among the girls is definitely Veronica, so she's going to model this one:



I think that these neoclassic columns emphasizes the timeless style of this  Dior design




This issue's sountrack is "la vie en rose" 1946 by Edit Piaf




On the next instalment:  the 50's, Enter Givenchy 

8 comments:

  1. Love, love, love, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!!!! You did a marvelous job on this dress. I love the setting in which you placed the doll. And to end with Edith Piaf is....super!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much April, coming from you, you make such great dresses!!!! jersey is a wonderful fabric. Kisses!!!

      Delete
  2. You made a fabulous dress! I just love it. The decor is just perfect too. I've probably said it before, but I'm gonna repeat myself: your posts are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nymphaea, doing the dresses and the photomontages is great fun, but your appreciation is precious!
      Kisses!!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Billa! I would like to pass the Versatile Blogger Award on to you, I hope you'll like it! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nymphea! thanks a lot I'm thrilled!!! I'm going to repost it tomorrow!!
      Kisses

      Delete
  4. You are so talented! Love it.

    ReplyDelete